Sunday, December 4, 2011

Rottnest Island First Weekend (Perth)

So I took the train from Perth to Fremantle ("freo"), the n the ferry out to Rottnest Island on my first weekend there.  It was the best adventure I've had in a very long time.  Imagine this:  you can either walk through WWII ruins, or snorkel in crystal clear water with real hard corals.  It was a tough split, and I did a lot of each.

  I saw a brown snake relative on the sand track I was walking along.  It was timid, I was alright with that.




This is the island on the island that I snorkelled out to.  I clambered out on it, and it was so sharp because it is all eroded limestone from old coral reef.  On one side, it was nice and sunny.  On the other side it was blowing wind and really cold.

It just kept getting better and better.  No people, secluded beaches all to myself.  It was sooo fun just walking around.  I took my time.

Most people choose to bike or take the bus around the island.  I was really happier walking, because then you can just amble along the coastline, which is much nicer than the road.

ffffuuu...

And they have mini kangaroos, which are about the size of a cat ('cept the babies, which are squirrel sized).  So peaceful.  Just munching everything green, twitching at imaginary ospreys.


I found this awesome squid, maybe a Dumpling Squid, and followed it around on my first snork.  I was not at the best spot, and he was basically all I saw.  I took my straw hat in the water with me.


There were great little rock garden scenes on the little island I swam out to.
After all that exploring I just made it to the good snorkel spot at 3:15 or so, and the ferry (6km away) was due to leave at 4:30 so I had to turn around and walk back quickly.    I came back to the Island the next weekend specifically to snorkel the spot shown in the below.  More on that later.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment